Slow cooker Brazilian chicken has all the flavors you are looking for to break the routine of the same boring chicken flavors you are used to having. It’s light, refreshing and still comforting!!
We finally purchased a slow cooker a couple of months ago… You must been thinking: What?? How come?? We know, we know… better late than never! We have been testing out new recipes and getting more comfortable with the amount of food, the time and also the quality of the food.
Our first successful dish was the black eyed pea stew that was so tender and flavorful. Our second one is this Brazilian chicken with dendê oil – an ingredient that we’ve used in so many recipes like one pot Brazilian pork and rice, Brazilian shrimp in a pumpkin and many others. Below, our photo profile, there’s a tag section that you can click on “Brazilian Food” and you will find more recipes.
Coconut milk is also a staple of Brazilian cuisine. We use it in fish dishes, chicken, red meat and also for baking and desserts. So delicious!! We served this dish with rice!! I can’t imagine serving any Brazilian food without rice! The chicken broth is so light and flavorful and there’s plenty of broth left so you can even make a chicken noodle soup with it.
Marilyn read this article about Alex Atala (one of the most renowned Brazilian chefs) on Eater. Last year we had the chance to go to his restaurant D.O.M and it was AMAZING! One of the highlights of his tasting menu was a meringue served with Amazonia dried ants on top. Alex Atala will be one of the featured chefs in the second season of the Netflix food series Chef’s Table that they’re filming in the Amazon. How exciting for him, for Brazil and for those who love food?!!
We are already taking about Brazilians, let’s add one more to this pot. Did you read the article from Bon Appetite magazine about Gisele and Tom Brady’s diet?? I couldn’t live a life with so many food restrictions. And you?
- 10 chicken thighs, bone in
- 4 large red peppers, cut into large dice
- 1½ large onions, cut into large dice
- handful of whole garlic cloves
- 2 T. dried oregano
- 3 large soup spoons dende oil
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 c. chicken stock
- kosher salt and pepper
- We made this recipe in our slow cooker and it turned out amazing! Here's all you need to do!
- Put red peppers, onions, garlic cloves and oregano into the bottom of your slow cooker. Nestle chicken thighs on top of the vegetables. Pour dende oil, coconut milk, tomatoes and stock over the chicken. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Turn your slow cooker to high and cook for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours, until chicken is tender. Serve on top of Brazilian rice. Done!!!