These salted caramel cream cheese pumpkin muffins with toasted pecans are just perfect to go along with any morning beverage.
I love pumpkin, everybody knows. I love even more, pumpkin muffins filled with cream cheese (lots!) with a spoonful of a salted caramel sauce on top with the crunchiness of the toasted pecans makes any morning better. The salted caramel in this muffin gives it even more flavor and makes it more moist too. The cool thing about this recipe is that it included ingredients that I’d never heard of before…I love that! The first one is the Fiori di Sicilia. This is a citrus extract mixed with vanilla. It’s so great that you can combine the flavors in one ingredient! The other is boiled cider. This is an ingredient probably more known and used on the East Coast of the US where it is a staple in New England recipes. It is a reduced and thickened cider that gives enhanced flavor to foods. Neither of these ingredients are necessary to make these muffins. You can replace the Fiori di Sicilia with just vanilla extract. You can replace the boiled cider with dark corn syrup. But I really wanted to try something I’d never used before and I learned something new. I love that!!
Link of the day…
Homeland, the new season started a couple of weeks ago and we love this series. Homeland production hired street artists to write graffiti on walls to add authenticity to scenes of Syrian refugee camps. Unknowing to the Homeland production team, the artists wrote in Arabic on the walls many criticisms of Homeland the series, including “Homeland is racist” and “The situation is not to be trusted”. I thought this rebel act was fantastic!!!
- For the filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- A few drops of Fiori di Sicilia - optional
- For the muffins
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 3 T. vegetable oil
- ¼ c. boiled cider - optional
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ⅓ c. half n half
- 1½ c. unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 c. toasted and chopped pecans
- Caramel Sauce
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 4 T. unsalted butter
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 1 T. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray a 6 tin, non stick muffin pan with pan spray and set aside.
- In a kitchenaid mixer, combine all ingredients for the filling until smooth. Set aside.
- Muffin Directions
- In a kitchenaid mixer beat together pumpkin puree, eggs, brown sugar, vegetable oil, boiled cider, salt, spice, baking powder, baking soda and half n half until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides as you mix.
- Add flour and stir until just combined.
- Fill the muffin tins to within ½ in. of the top of the muffin tin.
- Top with 2T. of the cream cheese filling.
- Cover cream cheese filling with 1 more T of the batter.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (depending upon your oven).
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to fully cool.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce and top with toasted pecans.
- Caramel Sauce Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, whisking for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Take off heat.
- Cool to a medium thickness for drizzling over the muffins.
Don’t Forget To PIN On Your Pumpkin or/and Muffin Board!
Beijos and Tchau!