These pumpkin pecans madeleines are our twist to the the classic French cakes that are immediately recognizable with their scalloped shell shape. Direct from the oven these nutty buttery madeleines have crisp edges but are moist inside and they are best eaten right away.
You can dust these madeleines with powdered sugar or you can dip into a warm white chocolate to go along with a cup of tea or black coffee.
I was reading this article regarding food waste on NPR. “Don’t Toss That Sour Milk! And Other Tips To Cut Kitchen Food Waste” . It’s so crazy how much food we waste and how many hungry people in the world feed themselves from garbage. We try here in our house to waste as little food as possible. It’s constant work.
- ¾ c. flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of ground ginger
- 6 T. butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. plus 2 T. sugar
- 3 T. dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. pumpkin
- 2 T. sugar
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1tbs lemon zest
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of cloves
- 2 T. finely chopped pecans
- 8 oz. white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375F Generously butter a madeleine pan.
- Dust with flour and knock out excess.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and spices together in a small bowl.
- Melt and brown the butter (here).
- Put into a small bowl to cool.
- In a kitchenaid mixer, beat eggs and both sugars until thickened, 5-10 minutes.
- Add vanilla and pumpin and beat again until combined.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet in 3 additions until combined.
- Fold in the cooled browned butter in thirds and mix until combined well.
- In a small bowl combine the 2 T. sugar, ¼ tsp cinnamon, allspice, lemon zest and cloves.
- Put batter into the madeleine pan filling each about ¾ full.
- Dust generously with spiced sugar and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake untill soft and golden, approximately 12 minutes.
- Cool for 2 minutes and turn out onto a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Melt white chocolate over a double boiler.
- When melted, dip the cooled madeleines halfway into the chocolate and then place over a rack to cool.