Prawn and scallop creamy pasta is a lighter version of the classic Alfredo sauce. Although light, it is still bold, full of flavors from parmesan cheese and the perfect pan seared scallops and prawns. On top we added an avocado/basil/meyer lemon puree to lighten up the richness of this creamy sauce.
Alfredo sauce is certainly not one of those light and refreshing types of sauce, right? Most alfredo recipes are based entirely on whipping cream and butter for the sauce. We wanted something rich but nothing SO rich that after three bites you can’t anymore. We replaced the traditional butter with a combination of stock and wine then adding the cream. This combination lightened the sauce just enough.
The avocado basil puree sauce gave a fresh flavor to this pasta. We love basil and avocado!! We blended these greens with toasted pine nuts and meyer lemon in the food processor to make this puree.
It’s undeniable that most European countries have better public transportation options than here in USA. I read this article “Germany Unveils the First Section of a 62-Mile Superhighway”. This is such a better idea than having bike lanes on streets or highways.
I read this article also that I had to add to this post. “US has reached peak ‘food city’: every town is now a culinary destination”. I am all about small, local restaurants as an option besides corporate restaurants. I’ve lived in small cities here in US where 99% of the restaurants were chains. I truly believe that being in contact with diversity at all levels, including food, makes you want to discover more, to travel, to expand your knowledge. At the end of all these experiences you become more tolerant with others and different cultures.
- 12 oz. Dried whole grain pasta (or gluten-free)
- 4 T. Olive oil
- 4 T. Butter
- 9 ea. Large scallops
- 9 ea. Large prawns
- ¼ c. Minced shallots
- 2 T. Minced garlic
- 1 T. Chopped thyme
- 1 T. Chopped oregano
- ¾ c. Chicken broth
- ¾ c. White wine
- 3 c. Heavy cream
- 1½ c. Parmesan cheese
- 1½ c. Diced tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 3 oz. basil leaves
- Zest and juice of 2 Meyer lemons
- ¼ c. Pine nuts, toasted
- 1 T. Minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until al dente, 5 -7 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a large sauté' pan, heat olive oil and butter over high heat.
- Sear prawns and scallops, seasoning with salt and pepper, until almost cooked through.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In same pan over medium heat, add minced shallots and cook until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the wine and reduce.
- Add chicken stock and continue to reduce liquid until almost evaporated.
- Add cream and cook until thickened, 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place prawns and scallops in a 250F oven to finish cooking while sauce reduces.
- Add Parmesan cheese to sauce and cook for another minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place avocado, basil, zest, juice, pine nuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor.
- While running, drizzle in olive oil and salt to taste and until puréed and desired texture is reached.
- To pasta with sauce, shellfish and tomatoes.
- Top with pesto.
Beijos and Tchau!