I wasn’t raised eating peanut butter in Brazil. When I had it for the first time it was here in the U.S almost 7 years ago. It wasn’t love at first sight. It took me awhile to like it and figure out what type of food I could combine with peanut butter… Every time that I am eating something with peanut butter I remember Marilyn’s mother and her daily peanut butter sandwich with jelly. It’s so American this combination!! I remember also when Marilyn made my favorite barbecued ribs for the first time and served them with this Asian slaw. I asked her about the dressing and she said that it was made with peanut butter. Inside my head I thought: no no no no peanut butter! I tried this peanut butter dressing and the only thing I can say is I could eat that dressing everyday because I love it SO MUCH and I can’t get tired of it.
- 5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 large red or yellow bell peppers, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 8 large green onions, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Peanuts for decoration
Peanut Butter Dressing
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
Whisk first 7 ingredients in small bowl to blend. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before continuing.)
Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat.
Season with salt and pepper and serve with toasted peanuts on top.
Beijos e Tchau!
Ludmilla and Marilyn Chudda