Meatball cups with spaghetti is a fun way to serve and eat this classic comfort food. Eating these meatball cups along with a glass or red wine is just perfect. The meatballs are super moist and you can use your favorite pasta and sauce. We made a homemade marinara sauce and loaded up the pasta and of course lots of cheese.
For the best texture and moistness, don’t overwork the meat mixture and use Parmesan cheese to help with moisture and flavor. We used a combination of pork, beef and veal and they are equally good. Definitely use fresh bread crumbs and freshly grate your cheese instead of using the box variety…it really does make a huge difference.
Regarding the marinara sauce – use the highest-quality canned tomatoes you can find for the best flavor. If you have time let the marinara sauce cook for while. It developed several layers of flavor over the 1 1/2 hours that we let it simmer. Simply delicious!
If want more ideas for pasta we have PRAWN AND SCALLOP CREAMY PASTA and one of my favorites BROWN BUTTER, SAGE, FALL VEGGIES WITH WHOLE WHEAT PASTA.
Next Thursday we are heading out for our vacation to celebrate Marilyn’s birthday. Yay!! I remember when I was little that flying anywhere was a such fun time and nowadays it is so complicated. I read this article about Airplane Food In Economy VS. First Class on 20 Airlines and I wished I could tele transport ourselves to the place we are going.
- You favorite pasta
- Marinara sauce
- 3 T. Olive Oil
- 2 -28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- ½ lb. diced bacon or pancetta
- 2 large onions, small diced
- 4 T. minced garlic
- 2 T. dried basil
- 2 T. dried parsley
- 2 T. dried oregano
- 2 T. sugar
- Meatball Cups
- ½ lb. each, ground pork, beef and veal
- 1 large onion, small diced
- 3 T. garlic, minced
- 1 T. crushed red pepper
- 3 T. dried oregano
- 3 T. dried parsley flakes
- Kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ c. shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 c. breadcrumbs
- ½ c. half n half
- Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until al dente, 5 -7 minutes.
- Set aside.
- MARINARA SAUCE
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepot.
- Add the pancetta/bacon over medium high heat and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and herbs and saute for another minute.
- Pass the tomatoes through a food mill and add to the saucepot.
- Season well with salt and pepper
- Cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for at 30 minutes, preferably for 1½ hrs.
- MEATBALL CUPS
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil.
- Add onions and sauce until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Set aside to cool.
- When onions are cool, add the the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with non stick spray.
- Scoop just a small amount of the meat mix into each muffin tin.
- With your fingers spread the meat to make a little cup.
- Bake until just done, approximately 10-15 minutes.
Beijos and Tchau!