These delicious grilled salmon tacos are our favorite tacos for warm days. It’s easy, super flavorful and the tomatillo sauce is the perfect addition to the spicy rub that is added to the salmon.
Today I was like “Wow!! A sunny day in Seattle! ” To me that says “get outside and grill while you can.” So I did. I cook for a living and sometimes when I get home, cooking is the last thing on my mind, but this easy and delicious recipe is one I make often…..Seriously…you gotta try it!!
You can see on the video below how fresh the tomatillo sauce is. We love this sauce! Marilyn always makes extra to use later on salads. It’s a keeper!
Note: I always make extra rub to save for later….either for salmon or other fish!! It’s delicious and it will keep covered for one month at least! Also…this recipe makes a large amount of avocado dressing…keep the dressing separate from the cabbage and only mix when needed….
I wasn’t surprised when I read this article “Allrecipes Reveal the Enormous Gap Between Foodie Culture And What Americans Actually Cook”. I find it sad that the majority of people don’t have any desire to actually make food from scratch. I am sorry, but it’s not cooking if you throw a bunch of canned, prepared ingredients into pan or the slow cooker. For me (Ludmilla) when people constantly “cook” on a regular basis using pre-made ingredients there’s no difference from fast food.
GRILLED SALMON TACOS
- INGREDIENTS FOR SALMON
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground coffee
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 8-ounce skinless, center-cut salmon fillets
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- TOMATILLO SAUCE
- 2 tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 ripe Hass avocado—halved, peeled and pitted
- 4 cups finely shredded red or/and green cabbage (12 ounces)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Hot sauce and lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat a grill pan or outdoor grill.
- Lightly oil salmon and place on grill.
- Grill the salmon fillets over medium heat, turning once, until medium (or to your preferred donenes), 8 to 9 minutes.
- Transfer the salmon to a plate.
- TOMATILLO SAUCE
- In a small bowl, stir the cumin with the chili powder, brown sugar and coffee.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil and dredge them in the spice mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, puree the tomatillos with the cilantro, jalapeño and garlic until smooth.
- Add the sour cream and process until smooth, then add the avocado and pulse until creamy.
- Transfer the dressing to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage and toss to coat.
- Fill the tortillas with the salmon.
- Top with the cabbage slaw and serve right away with the hot sauce and lime wedges.
Beijos e Tchau!