Quindim (pronounced keen-DEEN) is a popular Brazilian baked dessert made from sugar, eggs and coconut. The typical quindim recipe is believed to be based on traditional Portuguese baked desserts that make heavy use of egg yolks. This baked Brazilian dessert has a creamy coconut set custard, similar to flan. It’s delicious!! Most of the recipes have more sugar than we used for ours, we prefer it less sweet.
Link of the day…
I can’t finish this post without mentioning Caitlyn Jenner yesterday giving an emotional speech and also the video on ESPN that made me cry many times. Her life story, her mom and when Kendal talked about her dad crying in the car because of the paparazzi…it doesn’t matter if you agree or not, no one can deny how brave this human being is!!
- 10 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 100 gr. or 3.6 oz shredded coconut
- 200 ml or 6.75 fl. oz. (about ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp) coconut milk
- ¾ cup sugar (or 1 cup if you like sweet)
- A dash of salt
- ½ vanilla bean
- Butter and sugar for the mold or tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350F).
- In a bowl add the coconut milk into the shredded coconut to hydrate for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together using spatula.
- Tip the egg mixture into the baking pan.
- Place baking dish into a large tray filled approximately half way up with warm water -"water bath". Move tray and baking dish to the oven and bake, cover it with foil , until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean – approximately 1:30 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to come to a room temperature before turning out. Serve cold.
Here is a short video!
Don’t forget to PIN on your GLUTEN FREE/DESSERT BOARDS ON PINTEREST.
Beijos e Tchau!