Brazilian flair cheese braid with coconut is one of the most popular snacks in Brazil. It’s a mix of savory coming from the cheese and sweet coming from the condensed milk. Every bite you take of this braid you will find warm, gooey cheese.. it’s almost impossible to stop eating it.
This Brazilian cheese braid with shredded coconut is my favorite “dough” snack. I know that the mix of flavors for those not used to it seems weird, but don’t let the unknown take away from you the opportunity to try something new.
When Marilyn when to Brazil for the first time I really wanted her to try it at one of my favorite places. Of course, she loved it!! It’s so crazy how many snacks we have in Brazil. I’ve made here Coxinha, Pão de queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread), Esfiha …
As you know I had to use the Mexican soft cheese because I couldn’t find the Brazilian cheese here in the US. The shredded coconut that I sprinkle on top is unsweetened. I guarantee that you will love it!!
I saw in Bon Appétit Magazine “Relish in These 27 Condiments For All Your Summer Barbecues” and I want to make them this summer. As a Brazilian I wasn’t raised eating relishes and every time I try a different one I understand why they are so important in adding more flavor to food.
- 1 kg (2.20 lb) flour
- 10 gr yeast
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mexican Soft cheese
- condensed milk (to smear)
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (sprinkle)
- 1 egg yolk (for smearing)
- Add milk, water, oil, a little flour and yeast,
- Mix everything making a little "puree".
- Then add the salt, sugar and eggs;
- Add flour gradually to the point of unglued hand.
- Knead the dough a lot.
- Divide the dough into two parts.
- Cover with a wet kitchen towel the dough without touching the dough and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough and make strips about 5 cm wide, and wrap in cheese,whatever size you prefer
- Brush the dough with the egg yolk.
- Bake in greased pan in preheated oven at 160 ° C, for about 15 minutes.
- Brush with condensed milk and sprinkle with shredded coconut on top.
Beijos and Tchau!!