Brazilian flair broccoli cheddar soup in a Brazilian cheese bread bowl is a perfect combination of the American classic soup with the classic Brazilian cheese bread.
Most of us here in the US know about Broccoli Cheddar Soup. It’s kind of a staple soup that you find many times when you eat out in most restaurants here. But now we are talking about Brazil. Honestly, we wanted to make this post for all of the Brazilians out there who have never tried this. We wanted to introduce this delicious soup to Brazilians in a way that they would love to eat it….so..here we go.. What better way than to put it in a paõ de queijo bowl???!! Not only do you get the delicious broccoli cheddar soup, but add to it a bread with more cheese!! We loved it! It’s a perfect dinner in a bowl…filling, rich and full of cheese!!! I loved adding some type of hot sauce to it, but that’s just me lol! You could add other veggies to this, but why would you? Just enjoy the broccoli on its own and eat up that cheese!!
We talked before about the Brazilian cheese bread, these little bowls that are so cheesy and gooey on the inside. Usually, you see this Brazilian snack in little balls but for this recipe we made a big bowl to put the broccoli cheddar soup in. The only difference regarding the baking process is that it takes longer to cook and you need to wrap the bowls in aluminum foil. After many failures trying to cook it all the way, we finally figured it out.
- For the soup
- ½ stick of unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, medium diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c. half and half
- 4 c. chicken stock
- ¼ c. corn starch
- ¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 c. broccoli floretes
- 2½ c. grated, sharp, cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Recipe Brazilian cheese bread bowl
- For the soup
- Cook the butter, onion, celery, carrot, garlic and leeks on medium heat until tender.
- Slowly add chicken stock and half and half. Mix corn starch with a little water until smooth.
- Add slowly to the rest.
- Add nutmeg and bay leaves and cook on low until a slow boil comes and it is thickened.
- Add broccoli and simmer until tender. Discard bay leaves and add cheese and stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve in Paõ de Quiejo bowls.
Beijos and Tchau!!