Brazilian coconut flan cake is a such delicious and moist cake. The bottom of the cake has the texture and flavor of a flan and the top has a crispy melted sugar sauce with chewy, toasted coconut.
I love homemade cakes!! Which brings me to the problem of licking the spoon! I love cake batter, I love the smell in the house and also I love to cut the first piece of the cake while it is still warm.
This cake is super simple to make but it takes time. It’s the same with Brazilian flan. You blend all the ingredients together and let it cook for at least one hour. In the case of this Brazilian coconut flan cake, it took one hour and thirty minutes but it came out super moist. I made crispy melted sugar and drizzled it on top and sprinkled toasted coconut over that. I can’t imagine a Brazilian dessert without condensed milk.
We just finished watching Anthony Bourdain in Copenhagen with the chef Rene Redzepi, the owner of NOMA, rated the best restaurant in the world. Chef Rene Redzepi is a genius besides being such a hard worker. It’s totally watching this episode because it is so inspirational. We watched the full episode on Netflix. After watching this show I really want to go to Copenhagen and of course, Noma.
- 2 c. Flour
- 2 c. Sugar
- 1 c. Milk
- 1 T butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 T shredded coconut
- 9 oz. shredded coconut
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can milk (I used the empty condensed milk can)
- MELTED SUGAR
- 2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour a 9 in.
- Removable side cake pan.
- Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, coconut and baking powder and set aside.
- In a kitchenaid mixer beat eggs until light and frothy.
- Add butter and continue to mix until combined.
- In 3 additions add flour mixture and milk, alternating, finishing with the milk.
- Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared cake round.
- In a medium bowl combine shredded coconut, coconut milk, condensed milk and regular milk.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour over cake batter. (I didn't use all of the topping. It was full to the top of the pan and it was just enough. Depending on your pan, you may use all of the topping or not)
- Cover with foil and place into preheated oven and bake for 1-2 hours, depending on your oven. Remove foil 30 minutes before cake is done.
- Cake is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean but still wet (because of the flan).
- If top gets too dark before the cake is done, cover top with foil.
- Remove from oven and set on a wire rack o cool.
- METLDED SUGAR
- To caramelize the sugar:
- Add the sugar to a medium heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- When sugar starts to melt, stir gently and occasionally until it starts to turns light, clear brown; do not let it burn.
- Pour the melted sugar over the cake and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.
Beijos e Tchau!