We know it’s almost the end of the season for black cod, (also called sablefish) but if you can still find it, please run to the store today and buy this luxurious fish that is full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and wonderfully buttery when cooked. Marilyn made some the other night. It was so flavorful and moist that once I was eating it I felt the fish melting… definitely a party in my mouth. This black cod has as a side sautéed rainbow chard with black olives, cherry tomatoes and pine nuts. You don’t need anything else for this dinner, except a glass of wine!!
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups grape tomatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pitted, halved Niçoise or Kalamata olives
- 4 skinless black cod filets (sablefish) seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 bunches rainbow chard (or whatever greens you prefer), cut into large pieces, use the stems as well!
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup toasted pine nuts
Preheat oven to 400F. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cod, skin side down, and cook until it starts to get color and slightly crispy, turn the fish over and put pan into oven to finish cooking Approximately 4-5 minutes depending upon the size of the fish. When done, remove from oven and set the fish aside. Drain all but 1 T. oil from the pan and add the garlic and thyme. Saute until fragrant then add the chard, Cook for 1 minute until it starts to break down slightly. Add the wine and reduce for a minute then add the tomatoes, olives and butter. Cook until the tomatoes begin to break down slightly and butter has been melted into the sauce, Season to taste. Plate fish over chard mixture and garnish with pine nuts.
Have a great weekend!
Beijos e Tchau!
Ludmilla and Marilyn Chudda!